You won’t believe how amazingly easy these Instant Pot ranch mashed potatoes are to cook with Yukon gold potatoes to create a side dish that is so creamy and packed full of flavor that reminds you of your favorite sour cream and onion chips in one bite.
As a bonus, there’s an option to make these Instant Pot Ranch Mashed Potatoes with butter/milk or dairy free!
Easy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes vs. Old Method
You guys, I seriously dreaded having to make mashed potatoes for a side dish or for big holiday meals like Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter. I was just so busy trying to cook all of the other dishes that doing mashed potatoes felt like such a burden.
First, I would have to wash and peel them. Then dice them up and put them into a large pot of boiling water to cook. After cooking I would, without fail, burn myself from hot splashing water while I tried to pour a huge, heavy pot into a strainer basket in the sink.
Then I would place the potatoes in a separate bowl and have to mash them and add all of the seasoning, butter and milk.
I would end up with a dirty peeler, knife, cutting board, large pot, strainer, sink, potato masher and separate bowl. Ugh, I hate washing dishes, especially 8 starchy potato covered ones.
My whole world changed when the Instant Pot came along. We actually eat mashed potatoes WITH regular dinners! Now that Instant Pot mashed potatoes are so easy to make, they are no longer reserved as a special occasion holiday side dish. My family rejoices at this.
How to make Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Wash the potatoes.
- Peel, if desired. (I hardly ever do)
- Throw potatoes into the Instant Pot, add liquid, seasonings and cook.
- Quick release pressure. Open lid.
- Mash the potatoes inside the pot, using a masher or hand held immersion blender (my preferred method).
- Add more seasonings. liquid and stir.
That’s it and only 3 dishes that need to be washed: inner pot, immersion blender (or masher) and spoon. With almost zero prep time needed, these mashed potatoes are so easy to cook! Plus, no babysitting a hot boiling pot and no need to drain afterwards!
How long to cook instant pot ranch mashed potatoes
How many minutes to cook instant pot mashed potatoes? Not as long as stove top! Haha, okay, it takes about 12-15 minutes when cooking potatoes from whole, depending on size.
Smaller red potatoes cook faster than larger russet potatoes. I always opt for the longer cook time because it’s okay if you overcook them since they are going to be mashed anyway.
If you want a quicker cook time, peel and dice the potatoes into smaller cuts, approx 2″ size chunks and cook for 10 min.
(Instant Pot DUO 6QT and Mini 3QT pictured)
(This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.)
how to keep mashed potatoes warm
I think the real super power the Instant Pot has for the perfect mashed potatoes, is the KEEP WARM mode. You guys, no more cold mashed potatoes!
I love that I can cook the mashed potatoes side dish when I have the time in between cooking the main dish. I don’t have to perfectly figure out how much time it takes to cook Instant Pot mashed potatoes when so that it’s done when the main dish is ready too.
The Instant Pot DUO and Lux models have an automatic setting and go into KEEP WARM after pressure cooking. The higher models, like the Ultra, have options to turn off the automatic keep warm setting when pressure cooking is complete.
You’ll want to make sure the KEEP WARM mode is on (if you have the higher models) because it keeps the potatoes warm until it’s ready it’s time to eat.
Your family or guests will think you are a culinary expert when serving hot mashed potatoes to the meal along with the meatloaf or whatever main dish you’re making. Hooray!
Let’s talk about how amazing the flavor is when you add ranch seasonings to mashed potatoes. It really brings a depth to the potatoes that makes them addicting to eat.
It amplifies the flavors if you need Keto, Paleo or Whole30 compliant mashed potatoes by making this recipe substituting cauliflower instead of potatoes!
The ranch seasoning is the secret to making amazing tasting dairy free Instant Pot mashed potatoes. Without butter or dairy, it’s hard to replace that comforting flavor until you add the ranch flavor to it!
I love making the dairy free mashed potatoes with Yukon gold potatoes so they get that golden color as if they were made with butter. Don’t fret if you don’t have any Yukon gold potatoes on hand, this recipe tastes amazing when made with russet or red potatoes!
The other secret to making a powerful seasoning that both salts the dish and brings a savory flavor impact is our favorite chicken seasoning, Organic Better than Bouillon.
For amazing taste and easy on the tummy for those that need a dairy free version, ghee is a must!
I LOVE using a hand held immersion blender for mashing the potatoes right in the Instant Pot and it’s easy to clean.
Or you can use a hand held masher.
Main dishes that go with Ranch Instant pot mashed potatoes
- Beef or Pork Roast
- Chicken fried steak or fried chicken
- Fish fillets
- Mashed potatoes as a topping for shepherd’s pie
- Big holiday meals such as Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas
And by some random chance that you find yourself with leftover mashed potatoes, they make a great addition to soup the next day!
Instant Pot Ranch Mashed Potatoes
- 8-10 Yukon gold potatoes fist size, washed and peeled (if desired)
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp Organic Better than Chicken Bouillon
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 2 tsp dried onion flakes
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried dill weed
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp pink Himalayan salt (or more to taste)
Dairy Version with Butter and Milk:
- 1/2 stick butter
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 + cup milk
- Add potatoes, *water, bouillon, garlic, onion flakes, and *ghee into pot.
- Close lid and turn knob to sealing position. Pressure cook on high for 15 minutes. Quick release pressure when cook time is done.
- Open lid and mash the potatoes directly in the pot, using an immersion blender or hand held masher utensil. Continue blending and add additional *water (approx 1/4-1/2 cup more) for dairy free until desired creamy consistency.
- Add ranch seasoning mixture to the mashed potatoes and stir well.
For Dairy Version:
- *Reduce water for pressure cooking to 1 cup and substitute 2 tbsp regular butter for ghee, if desired. After pressure cooking is complete, add 1/2 stick of butter and up to 1 cup of milk until desired creamy mashed potato consistency. Season per recipe instructions.