This Lentil Tacos recipe made in the Instant Pot will not only surprise you how amazingly delicious it tastes but you will also love how quick and easy you can make this cheap meatless meal!
HOW TO COOK LENTIL TACOS IN INSTANT POT
- Rinse lentils and rice in a fine mesh strainer.
- Add lentils, water, taco seasoning, diced onion and green chiles into Instant Pot.
- Close lid and pressure cook on high for 20 minutes. Allow a 10 minute natural pressure release.
- Quick release any remaining pressure by manually turning/releasing the venting knob.
- Open lid. Fluff lentil taco filling with a fork.
- Serve with taco shells and favorite toppings!
(This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.)
You won’t miss the meat
Have you ever wanted to eat more meatless meals that are inexpensive, delicious, with almost no prep and have your family not even miss the meat?
This Instant Pot Lentil Tacos recipe will surprise you. I served these to my Instant Pot 101 class that I was teaching and everyone raved about them.
I admit that they were a little skeptical about the lentils when I first told them what it was but they kept asking for more after they sampled some.
Several classmates took extra home to their families to share.
But do vegan tacos taste like lentils?
Nope, the lentils take on the flavor of the taco seasoning and taste more like refried beans than anything else!
Why are Lentils healthy?
Lentils are legumes and contain an incredible 18 grams of protein per cup! They’re high in fiber, an excellent source of folate, low in cholesterol and also high in iron.
Lentils are also inexpensive, making this meatless Mexican meal not only healthy but budget friendly!
Plant Based Meals
So can you get excited about plant based meals? When it comes to Mexican flavor inspired plant based meals, they’re always going to be a hit.
One of my favorite plant based blogs, Minimalist Baker, shares amazing recipes if you’re looking for more plant based meals.
Other recipes to make with Instant Pot Lentil Taco filling
- Burrito/Taco Bowls
- Taco Joe’s (like Sloppy Joe’s)
Prepare Taco Shells in Air Fryer
Cook in a preheated air fryer at 350 for 3 minutes. Remove from rack and place on plate to cool. The tortilla will stiffen as it cools.
DOn’t forget Lentil Tacos Recipe Toppings
- Avocado chunks or guacamole
- Cheese or sour cream (or favorite non-dairy versions)
More Mexican Inspired Meals:
Instant Pot Lentil Tacos
Lentil Taco Filling:
- 16 oz green lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup short grain brown rice, rinsed
- 5 1/2 cups water
- 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tbsp garlic or 3 cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 package corn taco shells or tortillas
- Add'l toppings
Add lentils, rice, water, green chiles, onion and seasonings into the Instant Pot. Stir well.
Close lid and turn knob to sealing position. Pressure cook on HIGH for 20 minutes. Allow a 10 minute natural pressure release (meaning, leave it alone to rest). Quick release any remaining pressure by manually turning the knob.
Open lid and stir, fluffing up the lentil and rice mixture.
Prepare tacos by filling with lentil taco mixture. Add favorite taco toppings such as lettuce, salsa, avocados, cheese and sour cream. Serve and enjoy!
Other ways to eat this: Taco Salad, Nachos, Burritos, Quesadilla, Burrito Bowl, Taquitos