Thick and creamy Instant Pot chocolate coconut tapioca pudding is perfect for the chocolate lover. This tapioca pudding is naturally sweetened, dairy and gluten-free. Also tastes great chilled and served with raspberries and unsweetened coconut flakes on top. Perfect Paleo dessert!
INSTANT POT CHOCOLATE COCONUT TAPIOCA PUDDING
Instant Pot Chocolate Coconut Tapioca pudding is the perfect indulgent treat that is quick and easy to make. Tapioca is naturally gluten-free and takes on a delicious coconut flavor from using coconut milk in the recipe. This also makes it dairy free!
Naturally sweetened with honey or maple syrup also makes this pudding a perfect Paleo dessert.
The Instant Pot uses steam to cook, which means that you’ll never achieve the crispy crusts that accompany desserts baked in the oven. However, the Instant Pot’s steam environment is PERFECT for cooking tapioca or rice pudding!
(This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.)
WHAT IS TAPIOCA?
Tapioca comes from cassava plants that grow primarily in South America, Africa and Thailand. The cassava shrub roots are treated to remove toxins. The starch from the roots is harvested into small ball-shaped pearls, which we call tapioca. Cassava roots are also processed into flour known as tapioca starch. This starch can be used in various applications such as a thickening agent.
Tapioca pearls are used for making delicious desserts such as this Instant Pot chocolate coconut tapioca pudding. Soft and chewy tapioca pearls are a delight to eat! My kids have fun with the texture of tapioca!
MAKING TAPIOCA PUDDING
Make Instant Pot Chocolate Coconut Tapioca Pudding with these easy steps:
- Mix tapioca, water and coconut milk together. Pressure cook for 6 minutes with a 10 min natural pressure release.
- Meanwhile, whisk together honey, vanilla and eggs in a separate bowl.
- After tapioca is done cooking, press cancel. Press saute mode.
- While whisking tapioca quickly, add in egg mixture.
- Whisk in cacao powder and salt until dissolved.
- Serve hot or chilled with raspberries on top.
SWEET AND SAVORY SEALING RINGS
Don’t forget to switch out your savory sealing ring that fits on your lid with one designated for sweet recipes! I keep the clear one that the Instant Pot came with as my savory ring. I purchased an additional sealing ring in a different color so that I could easily remember which is which.
Don’t make the same mistake I did when I accidentally cooked my oatmeal with my garlic smelling ring! Our oatmeal definitely didn’t taste pleasant with the faint garlic flavor.
Instant Pot Chocolate Coconut Tapioca Pudding
- 3/4 cup tapioca small-pearl (not minute tapioca)
- 14 oz can full fat coconut milk
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 tbsp cacao powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- unsweetened coconut flakes optional
- Switch sealing ring on the lid to sweet one to avoid transferring any savor flavors from the savory ring into the pudding.
- In the Instant Pot, mix tapioca, water and coconut milk together.
- Close lid. Turn venting knob to sealing. Pressure cook for 6 minutes on high.
- While tapioca is cooking, whisk honey, vanilla and eggs together in a bowl.
- When tapioca is done, allow a 10 minute natural pressure release. Release remaining pressure by turning the knob to venting when cooking is done. Push cancel button then select sauté mode.
- While whisking the tapioca quickly, pour the egg mixture into the tapioca. Tapioca may have a stuck on bottom layer in pot but it will release off bottom as you proceed to cook and whisk. Continue whisking until tapioca begins to boil for 1 minute. Push cancel.
- Whisk cocoa powder and salt into pudding until dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Serve with raspberries or unsweetened coconut flakes sprinkled on top.