Crispy parmesan crusted sourdough bread with really make this Spinach and Ham Strata delightful and full of deep flavor.
While this meal is delicious anytime, I ALWAYS make Spinach and Ham Strata anytime we have leftover holiday ham.
This dish is the perfect brunch casserole as well. You can use any crusty bread loaf, however, you’ll get the best depth of flavor from sourdough.
Spinach and Ham strata is also a favorite food to serve at baby showers too!
(This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.)
Ingredients you’ll need
- Loaf sourdough bread
- frozen spinach pkg
- red bell pepper
- leftover ham (around 2 cups)
- 2 cups Italian cheese blend (or 1 cup mozzarella & 1 cup parmesan)
- 7 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- nonstick spray
This recipe requires a few steps but don’t let that stop you. It’s quite easy, really! Sauté veggies together. Add them into a large bowl with your bread cubes and half of the cheese. Toss bread, veggies and ham together in large bowl.
In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and seasonings together. I like to beat the eggs first a little before adding the milk so that they blend together better without as much milk sloshing around.
Grease a 9×13 baking dish. Add the bread/ham mixture to the pan. Pour the eggs over the bread evenly. Sprinkle on remaining 1 cup of cheese on top of bread.
Bake at 350F for 45 minutes or until set. Bread and cheese will be crispy and golden on top. Yummy! Serve and enjoy!
Spinach and Ham Strata
Crispy parmesan crusted sourdough bread with spinach and ham really make this strata delightful and full of deep flavor.
- nonstick spray
- 1 sourdough loaf cut into 1' cubes
- 12 oz pkg frozen spinach
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 onion diced
- 2 cups ham cut into 1" cubes
- 2 cups Italian cheese blend or 1 cup mozzarella and 1 cup parmesan
- 7 eggs
- 2 1/2 milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray 9x13 pan with nonstick spray.
- If you haven't done so already, cut bread into 1" cubes. Cut ham into 1" cubes and place in a large bowl.
- Thaw frozen spinach by placing spinach on a plate and microwaving for about 2 minutes so that it's mostly thawed out.
- In a frying pan, add oil, onion and red bell pepper. Sauté until onion is translucent. Add spinach and mix well.
- Add vegetables, 1 cup of cheese to the ham and bread bowl and mix together.
- Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, seasonings and milk. Pour egg mixture over the bread.
- Sprinkle remaining 1 cup of Italian cheese over the top of bread.
- Bake for 45 minutes until eggs are set. Bread and cheese will be a crispy golden layer on top. Serve and enjoy!