Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bars
Chocolate chip oatmeal bars are fast and easy to make. Think of them as thick chewy cookies that are less hassle to bake!
Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bars are the lazy man’s chocolate chip cookie, and that’s ok by me.
Seriously though, instead of scooping out each individual cookie, you can just spread this cookie dough into the baking dish.
Thick chewy chocolate chip oatmeal bars, in a fraction of the time.
If you like bars, have you tried my heavenly applesauce bars recipe?
How to know when bars are done
These cookie bars will be golden but slightly jiggly right out of the oven, but don’t worry! They set up as they cool, making that thick chewy bar keep it’s moisture.
If the bars are dry after they’ve cooled, then they were over baked!
How to keep bars from drying out
As soon as the bars are cooled completely, store the bars in an air tight container to keep the moisture in the chocolate chip oatmeal bars.
(This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.)
Can these be made Gluten Free?
Yes, these chocolate chip oatmeal bars can be made with Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Baking 1-to-1 Flour in place of regular flour with perfect results.
Can these be made Dairy Free?
Yes, substitute the butter with coconut oil. Make sure to use dairy free chocolate chips.
Need more gluten free recipes? Check out my gluten free & dairy free chocolate chip cookies recipe here.
Or my gluten free & dairy free applesauce bars.
How to make chocolate chip oatmeal bars
- Mix the butter, sugars, eggs and vanilla together.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add oats and mix well.
- Hand stir in chocolate chips.
- Spread evenly throughout a 9×13 greased baking dish.
- Bake at 350F for 25 minutes until golden on top and slightly jiggly.
- Cool completely on cooling rack. Slice into bars and serve!
Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bars
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9x13 baking pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl with a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat butter until creamy. Add sugars and beat with butter. Mix in eggs and vanilla until creamy.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Slowly add the flour into the batter. Mix until well incorporated.
- Add oatmeal and combine well.
- Mix in chocolate chips using a mixer or by hand with a large spatula, if it's too hard to combine with mixer. (My Kitchenaid can handle mixing it altogether)
- Spread cookie dough evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes. The chocolate chip oatmeal bars will be slightly gooey in the middle and that's ok. It will continue to cook and firm up as it cools (otherwise they can taste dry from overcooking).
- Place plan on a cooling rack and allow to cool for about 10 minutes before cutting into the bars. They will be very melty and soft at this point, but hot and delicious. If you want a firmer bar, allow to cool completely before cutting.
These were delicious! I did a gf version and ended up needing to bake longer than the suggested time but turned out so yummy!
So glad you enjoyed them! They will feel a little wobbly when taken out of the oven and continue to firm up as it cools.
Oh my gosh these were so yummy. I made them gluten free. I’m not letting my self make more because I could NOT stop eating them!
Yay Kyla! So glad you loved them! I agree, they’re totally addicting.