Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
(This post contains affiliate links. This means that I receive a small commission (at no cost to you) if you purchase something through the links provided. Thank you for supporting Instant Pot Creations!)
INSTANT POT TERIYAKI CHICKEN
This is a family pleasing meal that’s super easy to throw together on a busy night. Using an oven safe bowl and rack, you can make this instant pot teriyaki chicken even easier with the pot in pot method! Say what?! Cook your chicken AND rice at the same time in the same pot?! You betcha!
While my hubby and I like spicy food, the kids don’t prefer to have red chili flakes added on their instant pot teriyaki chicken. So that’s completely optional depending on your preference! Did I mention this is also gluten and soy free too? You can use soy sauce, if you prefer, but I find the coconut aminos taste amazing with the other flavors!
ACCESSORIES FOR POT IN POT COOKING
Stainless steel rack and an oven safe bowl (do not use lid on the bowl). Silicone mitts to remove the hot bowl. Steamer basket for rinsing rice and cooking broccoli in later. If you’re concerned about using glass, read if Pyrex is safe to use in the Instant Pot. You can also choose to use a stainless steel bowl.
PREPARE THE TERIYAKI CHICKEN MIXTURE
Place all ingredients except for tapioca starch (or cornstarch) into the pot. Stir well and place the rack in pot.
PREPARE THE RICE FOR POT IN POT COOKING
Rinse the rice in a strainer/steamer basket.
Place drained rice in an oven safe bowl that will fit inside on the rack. Add water and stir.
TIME TO COOK
Place lid on Instant Pot, turn knob to sealing. Pressure cook on high for 12 minutes with a 10 minute natural pressure release. Quick release any remaining pressure. Open lid and marvel at the pot in pot success!
REMOVE ITEMS TO MAKE SAUCE
Remove glass bowl and set aside to cool. I like to use silicone oven mitts that are easy to wash.
Remove rack and place in sink to wash later. No time for dishes now. Place chicken on a plate and cover with Instant Pot lid to keep warm. Reserve sauce in the pot.
MAKING THE SLURRY
Measure out the tapioca starch (also known as Tapioca Flour) or your cornstarch, if using instead. Add 1-2 tsp of chicken sauce to the starch to create a slurry. Whisk until blended and lumps are gone.
Push cancel button. Select saute mode on Instant Pot.
Slowly pour the starch slurry into the pot while whisking quickly. Continue whisking until the sauce comes to a boil. Turn off heat. Sauce will continue to thicken up.
TIME TO EAT!
Serve teriyaki sauce with the chicken over rice. Sprinkle red chili pepper flakes if you like a little spice!
Steamed broccoli is a perfect pairing for this meal!
Want more Instant Pot ideas?
- Venison Chili
- Instant Pot Bacon Green Beans
- Costa Vida Instant Pot Beans
- How to Remove Smell from Instant Pot Ring
- Deep Clean your Instant Pot
Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
- 10 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos soy sauce alternative, can use low sodium soy sauce instead
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp fresh ginger minced/grated
- 2 tsp garlic minced (or 3-4 cloves)
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp tapioca starch or corn starch
- chili pepper flakes optional
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 2 cups water
Chicken and sauce
- Place chicken thighs in the pot. Add honey, coconut aminos (or soy sauce), apple cider vinegar, ginger, garlic and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Place stainless steel rack in the middle of the pot, standing amidst the chicken.
- In oven safe bowl to be used in the pot, add rice and water. Stir.
- Place rice bowl on rack inside pot. Close lid and turn knob to sealing.
- Pressure cook on HIGH for 12 minutes. Allow 10 min to natural pressure release. Quick release any remaining pressure.
- Using oven oven mitts, remove the rice bowl and set aside to cool. Remove rack and place in the sink.
- Remove chicken thighs onto plate and cover with the lid, reserving the sauce in the pot.
- In a small bowl, add tapioca starch (or corn starch). Add approx 2 tsp of sauce from pot and whisk into the starch, creating a slurry. Continue to whisk until all lumps are gone and mixture is smooth.
- Push Cancel button. Push Saute Mode. Add starch slurry into the chicken sauce while whisking quickly. The sauce will thicken once a boil has been reached. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Combine chicken with the sauce. Serve over rice with a sprinkle of red chili pepper flakes, if you like things spicy. This meal pairs perfectly with steamed broccoli.
Do you have nutrition info (specifically calories per serving) for this recipe?
Sorry, I don’t have the nutritional info for this recipe yet.