Instant Pot macaroni and cheese used to be a staple every Sunday after church, before we discovered that dairy and gluten were bothering some tummies in our family. We usually add some type of veggies with the noodles. One of my favorite ways to eat Instant Pot macaroni and cheese is with tuna fish and peas.
I hate peas, but somehow I love the canned peas in this Instant Pot macaroni. Who knew?! The kids LOVE when I make the macaroni more fun with bow tie pasta.
WHY YOU WILL LOVE MAKING MACARONI IN THE INSTANT POT
- Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese with Tuna Fish and peas is quick to throw together. Food prep time is however long to open a box and some cans.
- It’s easy and usually always have all of the ingredients on hand. Simple pantry staple meal.
- No babysitting a pot of boiling starchy water.
- No draining water and having 1 less dish to wash.
- You can adapt this recipe to any type of flavor macaroni and cheese you prefer
Below is our original Instant Pot macaroni and cheese with tuna fish and peas, but I’m working on a gluten and dairy version too! I hope it turns out so that I can share that one as well! Fingers crossed! I know my kids would love to have mac n’ cheese again!
PS. My hubby LOVES to add Chili Lime Cholula hot sauce to his bowl of Instant Pot macaroni and cheese with tuna fish and peas. He’s a spicy addict.
Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese with Tuna Fish and Peas
My family is always hangry after church. Mac and cheese is the favorite quick solution. Macaroni and cheese with tuna fish and peas is always sung with its own little tune because it rhymes and makes the kids giggle.
- 4 cups water
- 16 oz pasta
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cans of tuna fish drained
- 14.5 oz canned peas drained
- milk to desired consistency (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 large handfuls of shredded cheese.
- Salt and pepper to taste
Add 4 cups water, pasta and butter to pot. Stir mixture.
Place lid on pot, making sure the sealing ring is secure. Pressure Cook for 4 minutes on high. Quick release immediately when cooking time is done.
Add tuna fish (drained), canned peas (drained), cheese and stir. The cheese will melt from the heat of the noodles. Stir in milk and continue to add milk until desired creamy consistency.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Lime Cholula hot sauce tastes amazing with this if you want to make it spicy!