I’m just going to say it, we are in love with these Instant Pot caramelized bacon green beans. We are not, however, fans of the typical green bean casserole that’s served during the holiday meals. Don’t hate me! The thing is, usually the green bean casserole is made with cream of mushroom stuff that gives both my hubby and I shivers of digust. The only part I like to eat is the unhealthy fried crunchy onions on top and those don’t exactly count as eating vegetables.
We do love to have at least one side of vegetables with our holiday meal and simple steamed green beans seasoned with salt and pepper, was the usual choice. Then bacon entered the green bean scene. Using the Instant Pot, we were able to make these fresh green beans into an easy instant pot carmelized bacon green beans masterpiece.
Make this for your next holiday meal, especially if you’re in charge of bringing a side, and you’ll have raving fans. But why keep it to the holidays? Make it anytime you get the craving.
WHAT MAKES INSTANT POT CARAMELIZED BACON GREEN BEANS SO ADDICTING
- Fresh green beans means best tasting fresh flavor, more nutrients and excellent tender texture when you bite into them.
- Salty crisp bacon flavors the beans and pairs so well with the sweet sauce
- Coconut aminos are the healthy soy/gluten free replacement of soy sauce and provide a sweet sauce. However, you can use soy sauce instead of coconut aminos.
- Coconut sugar matches the flavor of coconut aminos yet doesn’t make the dish taste like coconut at all. Just sweet and salty, the perfect combo without refined sugar. You can substitute brown sugar if you need to.
- Onions and garlic provide depth and flavor that also brings delightful aromatics to the instant pot caramelized bacon green beans.
WHY THE INSTANT POT MAKES BACON GREEN BEANS EASY TO MAKE
- This entire recipe can be made using just the Instant Pot
- No need to watch a boiling pot of green beans on the stove
- No straining/draining of hot liquid from the pot required
- Perfectly steamed green beans that are bite tender but not mushy
- Frees up your hands so you can make the other holiday food
- Utilizing the keep warm mode feature on the Instant Pot means the veggies stay warm until ready to serve
If you want to multi task to help save some time and don’t mind washing one extra dish, I also share my oven method for cooking crispy bacon. I usually opt for cooking the bacon in the oven because it does save me time and I can cook all of the bacon together on the pan! Trust me, taking the extra time to add bacon to this dish is what makes this incredible. My family gobbles this up so quickly, it’s ridiculous.
HOW TO COOK BACON WITH THE OVEN METHOD
- Line a large cooking sheet with foil (for easy clean up later).
- Place bacon on cookie sheet, without overlapping bacon pieces.
- Place bacon in a cold oven. Turn oven on to 400F and cook for 18-20 minutes or until crispy.
- Remove bacon from oven and place on a paper towel lined plate to absorb the grease.
- Once cooled, chop bacon into bits.
HOW TO COOK BACON IN THE INSTANT POT
- Push saute mode on the Instant Pot. While the pot is heating up, chop bacon into 1/4″ slices.
- When screen reads HOT, add bacon and cook until crispy. The grease from the bacon will release, therefore no additional oil is needed. You may have to cook in 2 batches.
- Remove cooked bacon and allow to rest/drain on a plate covered with 2 layers of paper towels to absorb the grease.
- Make sure to deglaze the pot by adding 1/4 cup of water to help loosen up the cooked on bacon bits in the pot as you scrape with a spatula. This takes about 3-4 minutes to do. Deglazing the pot prevents any BURN error on the screen when pressure cooking afterwards.
Instant Pot Caramelized Bacon Green Beans
- 1 lb bacon, cut into bits
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 tsp garlic, minced or 2 cloves
- 1/4 cup water, plus 3 tbsp add'l water
- 1.5 lb fresh green beans, snapped into 1-2" pieces
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos or use soy sauce
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
Push saute mode on Instant Pot. While the pot is heating, cut up bacon into 1/4" sized strips (to make into bits).
When Instant Pot screen reads HOT, add bacon. The grease from the bacon will release and be the only cooking oil you'll need. Cook until crispy. You may need to cook in 2 batches. Or cook bacon using the oven method (see notes).
Remove cooked bacon and allow to rest/drain on a plate covered with 2 layers of paper towels to absorb the grease.
Drain all but 1-2 tsp of bacon grease from the Instant Pot and discard. Saute onion in pot until transluscent. As the onion releases juices, scrape the bottom of pot to help it release cooked on bacon marks. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Add 1/4 cup water into pot and deglaze pot by scraping bottom of pot with spatula until bottom is smooth/clean. This prevents a BURN error.
Add green beans, 3 tbsp water, close lid and turn knob to sealing. Cook on high for 5 minutes. Quick release pressure when cooking is done. Open lid when safe to do so.
Push cancel button and push saute mode. Add coconut aminos, coconut sugar, ginger, salt and stir together in the Instant Pot. Saute for 3-5 minutes, until sugar has melted and caramelized a little. Sauce will be thin. Add bacon bits to the green beans and mix well.
Serve with fresh cracked pepper on top, if desired. Pairs well with mashed potatoes, stuffing, holiday favorites or any time of the year!
Oven Method Cooking Bacon:
Line a large cooking sheet with foil for easy clean up later. Place bacon on cookie sheet, without overlapping bacon pieces. Place in cold oven. Turn oven on to 400F and cook for 18-20 minutes or until crispy.
Remove bacon from oven and place on a paper towel lined plate to absorb the grease. Enjoy!
Want more Instant Pot Favorites?
- Venison Chili
- Costa Vida Pinto Beans
- Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
- How to Remove Smell from Instant Pot Ring
- Deep Clean your Instant Pot
Instant Pot Peppermint Cheesecake by TIDBITS
Instant Pot Ham by The Typical Mom
Instant Pot Creamed Spinach by Stay Snatched
Instant Pot Jalapeño Cheddar Corn Bread by Herbivore Cucina
Instant Pot Eggnog Stuffed French Toast by Devour Dinner
Instant Pot Bacon & Herb Scalloped Potatoes by Sweet N Sassy Eats
Pressure Cooker Cranberry Baked French Toast by Pressure Cooking Today
Instant Pot Peanut Clusters by Cooking with Karli
Creamy Instant Pot Green Bean Casserole by Instant Pot Eats
Instant Pot Applesauce by The Butter Half
Instant Pot Cornmeal Dumplings by Enhance Your Palate
Instant Pot Cranberry Meatballs by Life Made Simple
Instant Pot Spinach Artichoke Dip by Happy Healthy Mama
Instant Pot Maple Mustard Turkey Breast by Greens & Chocolate
Instant Pot Garlic & Herb Carrots by Piping Pot Curry
Delightfully Delicious Deviled Eggs by My Imperfect Kitchen
Instant Pot Cranberry Apple Pecan Rice Pilaf by 365 Days of Slow Cooking and Pressure Cooking
Instant Pot White Chocolate Creme Brulee with Candy Cane Sugar Shell by Instant Pot Cooking
Instant Pot Whole Tandoori Chicken by Ministry of Curry
Instant Pot Caramelized Bacon Green Beans by Jenuine Home/Instant Pot Creations