Easy, creamy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes in less than 30 minutes start to finish, no draining needed. Perfect for any side dish, meatloaf, or holiday meal. Use keep warm setting until dinner is ready!
Easy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
One of the most life changing things the Instant Pot has done for our family is making the most amazing pinto bean recipe from dehydrated beans, perfect hard boiled eggs every time and easy mashed potatoes (including these dairy free mashed potatoes). I cannot, will not, make mashed potatoes any other way than in the pressure cooker.
Why mashed potatoes in pressure cooker are best
- Easy – seriously, peeled or not, diced or quartered; it all works depending on your preference.
- One pot – need I say more? No more dirtying a pot to boil, a strainer to drain potatoes and a serving bowl. It cooks in the Instant Pot and you can serve directly from the pot or place in a pretty serving dish. No more washing starchy pans! Washing dishes is my least favorite chore.
- No draining – No hot steam puffing up into your face while it drains into a colander. No more lifting a heavy hot pan full of boiling water that could burn you (which I almost always do).
- Keeps it warm – After you’re done making the Instant Pot mashed potatoes, just put the lid back on and use the keep warm feature on your machine until you’re ready to eat! No one likes cold mashed potatoes.
As an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT MASHED POTATOES
- Wash the potatoes.
- Peel, if desired. (I hardly ever do). Dice, half or quarter the potatoes.
- Throw potatoes into the Instant Pot, add 1 cup broth or water, 1/4 cup butter and pressure cook for 10-15 minutes depending on the size of cut potatoes. When in doubt, use 15 minutes because overcooked potatoes are not a problem when you’re mashing them anyway.
- Quick release pressure. Open lid.
- Add remaining 1/4 cup butter, milk (up to 1 cup depending on desired consistency), salt, seasoning salt and pepper to the potatoes. In the pot, using a masher tool or hand held immersion blender, mash and combine until creamy. Careful not to over blend if using the immersion blender otherwise the potatoes can become gummy due their high starch content.
- Add more salt/pepper or milk until desired taste and consistency. Keep warm until ready to serve!
MAIN DISHES THAT GO WITH INSTANT POT MASHED POTATOES
- Beef or Pork Roast
- Chicken fried steak or fried chicken
- Fish fillets
- Mashed potatoes as a topping for shepherd’s pie
- Big holiday meals such as Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas
- 5 lb potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup milk, approximately
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt, (we like Lawry's)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Peel and quarter potatoes and add them into the liner pot. Add 1 cup chicken broth (or water) into the pot. Add 1/4 cup butter on top of potatoes.
2. Pressure cook on high for 15 minutes. Quick release pressure when cook time. No draining is needed for the potatoes.
3. Add remaining 1/4 cup butter, block of cream cheese, 1 tsp seasoning salt, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp black pepper to the potatoes. Add up to 1 cup of milk (more or less depending on your desired consistency of thickness). Mash the potatoes right in the pot until creamy using a masher tool or immersion blender. Caution not to over blend if using the immersion blender as it can make the potatoes gummy due to high starch content.
4. Season with more salt or pepper to taste.
5. Serve right away or place lid on the Instant Pot to cover mashed potatoes and use the keep warm feature until your meal is ready to eat!
If you're looking for a dairy free Instant Pot mashed potatoes recipe, click here.