Forget the microwave and make this easy homemade Instant Pot Popcorn recipe!
Can you make popcorn in the Instant pot?
I’m a popcorn snob and love homemade popcorn. Microwave popcorn leaves a yucky film at the top of my mouth. I decided to experiment to making Instant Pot popcorn. I tried out each of my 4 Instant Pot models to see which ones worked the best. Surprisingly, the popcorn yield varied a lot between the different models.
(This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.)
Recipe for all models as a control:
- Push saute mode, adjust temperature until it’s set to MORE.
- Wait until the screen reads HOT.
- After Instant Pot says HOT, add oil.
- Stir in 1/2 cup popcorn kernels to coat in oil. Cover with lid (use any clear lid that fits).
- Popcorn will start popping about 2 minutes later. When popping slows down to about 1 pop every 5 seconds, turn off heat and remove pot from Instant Pot.
- Transfer popcorn to a bowl and season with salt to taste. Can also toss with melted butter.
Popcorn in 6QT Instant Pot DUO
Popcorn in the 6QT yielded about 8 cups of popcorn with a 2 tbsp of unpopped kernels left in the pot.
Popcorn in 8QT Instant Pot Ultra
This model yielded the most popcorn by far, about 12 cups with just a few kernels left in the pot.
Popcorn in 8QT Instant Pot DUO
This gave me poor results of only 3-4 cups of popcorn over several different occasions. About 1/4 cup of kernels remained unpopped.
Popcorn in 3QT Mini Instant Pot DUO
This model yielded the same results as the 8QT DUO, with about 3-4 cups popcorn and lots of kernels remaining in pot. Thinking it might be because this recipe was too large for the 3QT to handle, I divided the recipe in half and tried again. Results were a little better but still half of the kernels remained unpopped.
BEST results for Instant Pot Popcorn
The winner is clearly the Instant Pot Ultra 8QT with 12 cups of popcorn!
Ingredients for Instant Pot popcorn
Coconut Oil has a high smoke point and is perfect for popping popcorn in the Instant Pot.
You can also make Instant Pot popcorn without coconut oil. I’ve had success using avocado oil, which also has a high smoke point.
Regular butter won’t work for the popping oil but Ghee (clarified butter) works and gives a delicious buttery flavor.
I used yellow popcorn kernels. Make sure the bag is fresh and not expired.
Check out these other great Instant Pot Recipes:
Instant Pot Popcorn
- Use Instant Pot models: Ultra 8QT or 6QT DUO to perform the best yield.
- Saute mode on Instant Pot . Adjust temperature until it says MORE.
- Wait until screen reads HOT. Add oil and popcorn kernels. Stir to coat kernels. Cover with any clear pot lid that fits.
- Popcorn will start popping after about 2 minutes. Don't shake the lid because condensation will drip down into popcorn and make it soggy.
- After popping slows to about 1 pop every 5 seconds, turn off heat and remove pot.
- Pour popcorn into a large bowl and toss with melted butter salt to taste. I use about 2 tbsp melted butter.